Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Working from home, and slightly more birthday magic


I felt much better today and was able to get in a full day of work from home. At home, of course, because D is still recovering from being sick. This winter is the first time that D being sick isn't the worst thing to plague the entire house. Sick babies and sick toddlers are miserable for all involved. You feel terrible for them and there is not much you can do. They are mad that they feel bad and cannot settle to sleep because they are so mad/feel so bad. D has finally graduated to sick preschooler. He can be sick and mopey, uncomfortable but able to be comforted (and distracted by tv and fruit popsicles). And he can totally settle himself to sleep, even through a stuffy nose and fever.

Today D was operating at about 75%, and I was able to work with very little distraction (certainly less distraction than the average day in my office). It is a huge milestone for us, and will prevent me from falling too far behind on future sick-kid days (which based on our current rate should be sometime at the end of next week).

In other news, today was decidedly more birthday-ey.

I got a beautiful and unexpected bouquet of flowers from my wonderful friend Titian for my birthday. I am not a "flowers" girl, and there is absolutely no expectation for Z to get me flowers on any given holiday. This I think makes me appreciate flowers all the more on the rare occasions I get them, and it was a delightful surprise. And it was super funny to hear DaVinci say "Uh Mom, there's a guy at the door holding a bunch of flowers." Good thing Titian didn't get me a stripper.  "Uh Mom, there's a policeman at the door in really short-shorts with a boom box on his shoulder." Awk-ward... I was going to feature the lovely flowers as my shot for the day, but I cannot get a photo in this dreary darkness that does them justice, so I refuse.

This evening I went out to dinner with two of my friends to chat and eat food. Z always wonders what we talk about for 3 hours (in a row!) but I always feel like there is more to say. As our kids get bigger, the opportunities we have to get together come fewer and farther between and I miss the frequencies of our weekly playgroups. And as for the food, even though I had to stop at a gas station for Tums on the way to dinner to settle my stomach I was able to enjoy a few delicious items. Still no chocolate or dessert of any kind, so the birthday has not officially come to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment