Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sibling Love

For now the pox on our house seems to have lifted. Everyone is healthy again, although D is being a complete grump (he seems to work on a cycle of grump, so in a week or so he should be awesome again, at least temporarily).  My lovely sister Amie took me out for my birthday and I had such a good time. We ate dinner at La Halla, and I had my first birthday dessert - a delicious, ooey gooey baklava. Yum. After we saw an amazing documentary called Marwencol which is... well... I just tried to write a summary of the movie, and it either sounds crazy or stupid. Look it up, watch a trailer, or just trust me and go see it. Really Good.

The most important part of the night is that I had a great time with my sister. She is truly a wonderful friend and we have such a good time hanging out together. If we were not sisters, we would still be friends. This was not always the case. She is five years older than me, and growing up we did not get along. We have a running joke that if I did stand up comedy, I could do a whole routine on the horrible things she did to me as a child. I was a pesky little brat who knew how to push her buttons, and she was a tyrannical ruler. If you had told us at 11 and 16 that we would be friends as adults, I don't think either of us would have believed it. And yet, here we are, good friends who have the additional bond of a shared childhood, and a partner with which to keep fresh the memories of our past.

Besides enjoying her companionship, the other benefit of our friendship is that it gives me a great long-view of my children's interactions. As they grow I know that they will have bumps and turns in their relationships, and I imagine that they will grow apart in the space of their school years. I will try my hardest to teach them to respect and love each other throughout those years, but in the end even a discordant relationship can have a glorious ending.

Love you Aim.

No comments:

Post a Comment