Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another one bites the dust...

Now I think that rather than a game of catch, our sickness passing is more like a game of dodge-ball, and the kids and I totally suck at it and are always getting pegged.

Last night D joined us in the land of the sick, except with different symptoms. Grrr. We both felt pretty crummy all day today and DaVinci stayed home but felt better (you can't exactly send a kid back to school the day after they throw up in their classroom). By the end of the day, D was feeling well enough to have his new favorite food, chicken soup. By the way, he likes the noodles and pieces of chicken, but doesn't see the point of the "chicken water."

Oh and did I mention it is my birthday? Yeah I'm not really counting it either. I didn't feel like eating, and so had nothing containing chocolate, no candle to extinguish. It was the birthday of a parent.  I have to say that even though many many people have mocked Facebook, one of the bright points of my day was seeing all the birthday wishes from friends I have made over the last 26 years. It is such a simple gesture, even easier than an email... but it really did make me feel good on what was otherwise a pretty dreary day.

And how do I feel at 33? I feel the most like me I have ever felt. I hope that this is the adult me that I will stay into my old age. I am more confident than I have ever been -  but rather than a confidence of arrogance, it is the confidence of humility. I am finally aware of just how many people are sharing my experience (or a much harder experience) and that there are so many equally good choices and NO absolutely right choices. I feel like I can make the best choice with the information I have and that most always it is a choice that will work, and if it doesn't I can make something work. I am still young enough and strong enough to hike, crawl, climb, and play with the kids, but old enough to always be treated like an adult.

I am at this point in my life happy with my family, friends, home, and life in general... which gives me a certain sense of underlying worry that something terrible might come sweeping through and mess it all up. (thanks goes out to my mother for passing on that particular trait)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, Sweetie - the "movie of the week" neurosis (things going so well you fear it all ending with something going wrong) is one ball I wish you had dodged. I may not be to blame though, it might be part of the Momscape.

    ReplyDelete