Friday, January 21, 2011

DaVinci the Time Traveller

Half of the kids in DaVinci's class walked out with these taped together "vests" today. DaVinci made them all. For anyone who wanted them. But here's the really funny part. I heard other kids saying to their parents "DaVinci made it. Its my armor." When I asked DaVinci about it in the car, she said "Well, I told people that its armor, but actually they are time travel vests. They let you blend in to any time period." I asked her why she told the kids that it was armor, and she said "Well you can't just tell everyone about time travel. Its kind of a secret. You can only tell the people you want to join in the time travel." This is what my daughter does at every recess now - time travel with a group of 6 other girls using the "Time Travel Tree," which is an actual giant oak tree that grows on their playground. The mythology of this tree grows and develops each recess - how it works, what items are useful for travelling back to the present, etc. It is incredibly complex, and DaVinci gets exasperated when I ask too many questions about it. I know they travel to the past and the future, to destinations which include Dinosaur Land, Egypt, and Cherry Blossom Land. I could not be more happy that this is what the girls at school are doing. There will be so many years of Hannah Montana (or her ilk) and other inane bothersome girl stuff that will drive me mad. But this year, for right now, this awesome group of girls have the power of time travel and are working together to make their own rules. Love love love this.

1 comment:

  1. I think more kids are like this than we realize, but they hide it, and then they forget because someone laughs at them, or scoffs or tells them there's no such place as "Dinosaur Land". They become afraid to play and dream and transport themselves into their imagination.
    Kudos to parents to allow their girls and boys to travel to imagination - it's safer, after all, than mountain climbing :-}

    ReplyDelete