Monday, January 3, 2011

First Day of School

What can I say but that the end of vacation hit us like a slap in the face? It all started with us waking up 15 minutes later than planned because the alarm on my phone didn't go off - which when I complained, Z the tech geek says "Oh Yeah there is a problem with the latest software update and the iPhone alarm doesn't work." What could they have possibly done to screw up the alarm? Were they working on a way to stop time and then accidentally messed with the alarm clock? That would be the only reason I would find acceptable (especially if I actually could stop time with the touch of a button).

This was an especially important day, because Little D started a new school! We are super excited about this place and wanted him to start things off on the right foot. As I have said before, he feels things very strongly, and does not feel any compunction to get along just for the sake of getting along, so I am WAY more nervous about introducing him to a new place than I am to introducing DaVinci. Z rushes DaVinci off to school (late) and I rush Little D out the door to his brand new school, forgetting 1. my camera to take the all important 1st day of school shot and 2. my phone, which serves as a great "oh crap I don't have a camera" camera. We get him to his classroom, I hang out for a few minutes, drawing and playing legos with him, helping him talk to the kids and teachers. Since I know D and how much he likes to look at pics of our family and talk about what we are doing in the photos, I worried that he might feel a little uncomfortable on his first day so I wanted to make something special for him to bring. I printed out two pages with photos of our family and D doing some of his favorite things (Boardgames! Scuut Bike! Playing Knights!). He LOVED these pages, and showed them to both his teachers, and they talked about them at circle time with the whole class. It served the exact purpose I wanted it to by giving D something concrete to talk to other people about. Yay me! And.... then I left, leaving my purse behind in the classroom, because that is the kind of day it was.

When I came back to pick him up (and my purse) I realized that my wallet was also in my purse which also meant that I didn't have any money to put in the meter so I could run inside and get D. I scrounged around in the messy car, finally scraping together $0.40 for 15 min on the meter. D's teacher said his first day went well, and D had no complaints. He had a good time playing outside and had drawn a good number of pictures. Now if I can just get my act together, maybe we can BOTH have good days.

After picking him up, I took him to pick up a "Congrats on your First Day of School" Cookie - and that will have to serve as the photographic reminder of his first day of school.

2 comments:

  1. Mornings like that one help us understand the most important thing about being a parent is one's ability to roll with the punches and still have fun. Congrats to D. on his first day at new school.

    ReplyDelete