Sunday, January 30, 2011

Teach your child to read with M&Ms


DaVinci was always passionate about books. From 9 months old, looking at books has been her favorite hobby. When we started to teach her to read just before she turned three, it was easy peasy. She so desperately wanted to read that she worked really hard, and all of the hours of looking at books seemed to pay off. Within 4 or so months, she was a full on reader.

Little D has been a bit harder. He likes books and loves to be read to, but equally loves to make up stories or to be told made up stories. This is also wonderful - it is fascinating to hear what is going on in that little (well not so little) head. When either parent takes him up to bed, he asks for a "Story from your mouth" which means something we make up, typically featuring Prince D and Princess S (although in the last month, DaVince has asked to be called Madame Knight DaVinci in stories... which is totally awesome).

I love telling stories, but appreciate the power of a kid being able to read a book anytime they want. I started working with him on reading last summer and it was rough. He got tired very easily, and didn't want to stick with it and try hard. Because he does not have the same passion about books, the end prize of reading was not exciting enough for him. We had a sticker chart, and gave him a small prize every 10 reading lessons. Not enough. So we took a break.

In the last couple of months, he has become way more interested in books and letters, and so I thought I would try again, but with a new plan... Candy. Now, we put 5 M&Ms and 5 Jellybeans in a cup in front of us. As we go through the reading lesson, if Little D starts to fuss, I eat a piece of candy. Whatever is left at the end is his. The first lesson I ate two candies, the second I ate one and since then, nothing. He is excited to do the lessons, and he is very conscious of not fussing - something we could use in the rest of our interactions with him. And his reading is totally taking off. I finally believe that he may be a reader in the next few months.

I know it is not important to teach him to read this early. I know that if he goes to kindergarten not reading that he will learn (and much more quickly than now!). But I feel like teaching a child to read is like giving them a superpower, and selfishly, I like working to bestow that power onto my kids. Reading is awesome, and I can't imagine Little D having to wait 2 more years to read on his own.

PS - the book I swear by (pictured above) is "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons."

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Thanks for the book title. Can't wait to start this with Abi G. Oh, and I love the candy idea. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete