Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Naked Knight

So, my people like to stay home way more than I do. I think that often when I am home, I am thinking of all the other stuff I need to get done and see the messes that need to be cleaned. When we are out doing family stuff, I can just enjoy what we are doing and be more fully in the moment. Zach and the kids would rather stay inside all day doing a million and one different things (most of which add enormously to the mess in the house) from the comfort of their pajamas. Well, Little D sometimes dispenses with the need for his pajama bottoms... Here he is busily setting "traps" all over the house - this yarn covered two flights of our house and was carefully wrapped in, out, over, under and through many of the items in our house. This kept him very busy for an extended amount of time, and is well worth the mess. At the end I reclaimed pieces that were easy and broke the yarn in two when I got to a knot. So now we have about 6 smaller balls of yarn for future traps.

So while Little D set traps and DaVinci was re-reading the Hobbit (she and Zach just finished reading it together and she LOVED it), I went out with the dog - the one member of the house who is always eager to go out - to the dog park. Later Zach and DaVinci walked down to the video store to rent "The Hobbit" - the animated version from the 70's (Did you know that in the new Hobbit, Bilbo will be played by Martin Freeman - "Tim" from the original British "The Office?" I love him, and can't wait to see it!).  We watched the Hobbit with the kids at rest time, and Davinci was super excited that the film featured many of the "songs" from the book. She is the ONLY person I know who likes the songs.

Early this evening we had a sitter over while we saw "The Last Circus" to finish out the round of five Portland International Film Festival movies I have seen over the last two weeks. It was crazy crazy crazy, fun, weird, and I cannot recommend it to everyone, but I had a blast seeing it. Definitely the most memorable thing I saw this year. The other films I caught at the festival: "Good Morning to the World" - Japanese movie that was just so-so, but fun to hear Japanese interchanges, so different from Americans. "Boy" - Adorable film from New Zealand that I can easily recommend to ANYONE. "Even the Rain" - great movie from Spain which was simultaneously about the atrocities of Christopher Columbus "discovering" the new world and the modern day struggles in Bolivia starring Gael Garcia Bernal who is adorable. The pretense was that we were watching a film crew making a movie about Columbus in Bolivia and we got to see scenes from that movie. It really made me want a "true story of Columbus" movie. "Of Love and Other Demons" - a Spanish movie not to be confused with Jake and Anne's "Love and Other Drugs in theaters now. I think this is the movie that people picture when they hear that I am going to a film festival. Boring, with lots of sssslllooowww scenes where people look wistfully at each other while a woman chants acapella. So now you are thinking - "No wonder she can't keep up a blog, she is at movies all the time!" This was a lot of movies, even for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment